Sunday, April 09, 2006

"Thank you, Mr. Maha..raj..uh..pruh..jarpah..."


It's a policy of the Safeway grocery stores that when a customer leaves the line, the checker must look on the receipt for his or her name, and then say, "Thank you Mr. (or Ms.) ______." It's designed to give the customers a greater feeling of personal connection with the store.

Now, my last name's Kost. Most people who read that seem to think that it rhymes with "most" or "toast", but it actually rhymes with "lost", or, I'm sorry to say, "accost". Safeway employees are no exception. "Thank you, Mr. Coast." ("You're welcome. Mr. Shore?") I'm used to it, even though I always perk up a bit when it's actually pronounced correctly.

I'm just glad that I don't have a impossible-to-pronounce Eastern European or Indian surname. Although I'd probably die from laughing, if you want my honest opinion.

2 Talked Back:

At April 11, 2006 at 4:47:00 PM CDT, Blogger h-i-p said...

I still have my Safeway Club Card under my former name which is of course always a joy to hear people pronounce. In actuality, it barely amuses me since it was so common for people to mispronounce it. It gets to a point where you don't even care and wish to move on with life to better things like getting back into your car and getting the milk in the fridge.

What I do really miss though, is using the Delta-Charlie-Delta type descriptions of letters to describe my name: "T as in Tom, S as in Sam, N as in Nancy". Now my name is so guaranteed to be recognized that if I ever lapse and spell it for old times sake they get a little irritated. Alas, good times.

 

At April 13, 2006 at 3:00:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just change your name to :) and you won't have any more such problems.

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home