Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Only about three weeks behind, but I'm back!

Since we just got cable and Internet hooked up at the duplex today - and only three weeks after ordering the service! - I can now resume my drawing duties. Actually, I have been drawing this whole time. Just not comics right now. Thanks to Samuel John Klein's post about Scott Teplin's work, I've been inspired to do some actual ink-on-paper art.

After looking through some of Teplin's archived sketchbooks and gallery pieces, it's clear that his style and mine are similar in many ways. If it wasn't for the fact that he'd done them first, I could totally have seen myself inventing and drawing the alphabet-shaped dwellings he's working on now. But alas, I must be different. I do have some ideas for new projects, some involving this here blog (it's due for a makeover) and possibly marketable works.

The biggest concern of mine when it comes to these projects is my own patience. It's so easy for me to start a piece and then draw it like I need to have it finished immediately. The quality of the artwork suffers greatly when I produce it in haste. What I need to do is to be perfectly okay with one drawing taking a few days, or even weeks to complete. There's no rush. (The comics, on the other hand, I'd like to have them done before the day is out.) I also need to get a good scanner so I can show you my progress whenever I can. Actually, we have a scanner, but I haven't personally tested it out yet. It may work just fine for what I need.

Meantime, let's hope that I can get back on track with my 366 Days of Creativity. We're already up to the end of Day 65, yet I've only just finished comic #47. Here's a little piece of it (click to see the whole thing):


Last, but not least, happy birthday to my sister Julie!

4 Talked Back:

At March 6, 2008 at 11:25:00 PM CST, Blogger Katie said...

Welcome home to your new place sans the parents! Fantastic!!! Maybe I should come for a visit?

 

At March 6, 2008 at 11:38:00 PM CST, Blogger stan said...

Yes yes yes! Please do! We'd love for you to come visit...that would be awesome!

 

At March 7, 2008 at 10:07:00 AM CST, Blogger Coley said...

I agree! We really would love for you to come and visit! Surely you have enough miles by now for a side trip to Missouri :) !

 

At March 11, 2008 at 11:46:00 PM CDT, Blogger Katie said...

Sadly not enough miles yet... I somehow keep missing trips to China that would have bumped me up nicely. But soon enough I'll have some, and that's a good idea of how I can use them. :-)

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home