Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Puff, puff

You know what bugs me? When smokers think that they are entitled to extra breaks throughout the day just because their nicotine cravings come on more often than once in the morning and once in the afternoon. And worse, when supervisors accommodate them. I once worked with a guy who would go outside to smoke every hour on the hour, regardless of what work needed to be done and who was waiting for him to do it. And nobody told him it wasn’t okay.

Please don’t give me the argument about non-smokers like me occasionally taking extra non-breaks to use the toilet. It isn’t a fair comparison, because that’s a biological function, not a behavioral one. (Yes, addictions are behavioral.)

3 Talked Back:

At February 26, 2008 at 10:40:00 PM CST, Blogger Jim said...

buy candy cigarettes and join him

 

At February 26, 2008 at 11:36:00 PM CST, Blogger Katie said...

I hate smoke breaks too... Luckily in my biz its kinda not the "in" thing. We had one lady who would go out every few hours and read from a trashy romance novel. Then she'd leave the novels in the breakroom when she was done for supposedly anyone else who might want to imbibe in trash novels.

P.S. Erin and I went out this weekend and we missed you. Palio's.

 

At March 4, 2008 at 9:15:00 AM CST, Blogger meagan said...

GRRRRRR!!
(That's all I have to say in agreement to this particular frustration.)

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home