Thursday, October 16, 2008

And we still don't know whether they'll break .500 this season

Before Nicole and I went to Portland, I made plans to buy a Portland Trail Blazers T-shirt. Even though they haven't performed all that well over the last few seasons, they are still my hometown team, and I want to be able to represent that. I ended up buying three shirts, one of which is nothing more than a black shirt with a oversized silver Blazers "pinwheel" logo:


Well, here's the thing. When you're in southwest Missouri, which only recently is at least four hours away from the nearest NBA venue (grumble), you have to assume that a majority of locals don't really know who the Blazers are, much less recognize their mysterious logo. (Come to think of it, some folks don't know what the NBA is.) It really just looks like a map symbol for a hurricane.

According to Wikipedia, the pinwheel logo, which was designed by the cousin of former Blazer executive Harry Glickman, is supposed to simply represent to two teams of five players lined up against each other, presumably at the half-court circle (which, on the floor of the Rose Garden, is also this logo). It's sort of obscure, but then again, a lot of things were obscure in the early 70's.

Almost thirty years later, they're still using that weird little pinwheel, which by the way does not suggest "aggressive" or "menacing" in any way whatsoever, and that means that I'll have to keep answering questions from my co-workers about the funny-looking hurricane symbol on my shirt. Go Blazers!

4 Talked Back:

At October 17, 2008 at 4:45:00 AM CDT, Blogger Andrew Weaver said...

1. Glad to see your you're an NBA fan.
2. I am well aware of who the Blazers are. I remember Clyde the Glide, Terry Porter, and many other Trail Blazers. Back in the day when they were decent.
3. It is nice to have the Thunder nearby (even if it's a lame name, logo, and color).
4. OKC is ONLY 3 hours away. =) I know because my wife used to reside there. Been to a Hornets game too, back when they were playing there.
5. You should go when they hook up w/ the Blazers. Ford Center is nice and downtown OKC isn't too bad either.
6. "What's the deal with that logo?" ~ Seinfeld.

 

At October 17, 2008 at 10:18:00 AM CDT, Blogger stan said...

2. I did some landscaping work for a couple of days at Clyde Drexler's house. There were a lot of people there working on various projects (it was a total remodel of a house he hadn't yet moved into), and Clyde was there just chatting it up with anyone who was on a break. When a lot of guys in his position would insulate themselves from the general public, Clyde was classy enough to actually spend a little time getting to know the workers.

4. No, no, Andrew, you don't understand. It may be a three-hour drive to OKC for most people, but for us, it's a four-hour drive. :)

5. We've actually looked into getting tickets for one or both of the games next year. Most of the seats (at least, the ones not behind the baskets) seem to be unavailable, but there are a few left. I'm hoping that I might get some tickets for my birthday next month...

 

At October 17, 2008 at 7:15:00 PM CDT, Blogger Matt and Lori Graber said...

Well, what do you know....I learned something new today...Thanks, Stan....-Lori

 

At October 23, 2008 at 9:41:00 PM CDT, Blogger Samuel John Klein said...

I think it's a classic, myself. I've seen that logo all my life, and I love abstracty logos like that.

For a long time, if you might recall, the logo actually was more upright, which added the vague impression of the lower-case letters "t" and an upside-down "b" melded together.

I like the explanation of two teams of five dancing on the floor. Excellent metaphor for b-ball.

In a way that reminds me of the old Monreal Expos logo, which was a script M with interior subdivisions splitting off a red "e" on the left and a blue "b" on the right with a white part down the middle. The impression was supposed to be of the letters "M""e""b", for "Montreal Expos Baseball", but which my eyes always wackyparsed as "elbo".

There's a good rendering of the old Expos logo here.

Isn't it cool?

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home