Thursday, September 11, 2008

Timothy James Fadel, 1977-2008

I just found out today that the brother of one of my old friends died last Saturday.

When I was in high school, I started going to a youth group at Lynch Baptist Church in southeast Portland. One of my friends from that group was Todd Fadel; he had a younger brother named Tim. I didn’t know Tim as well as Todd, just because of the fact that most of the time I was at Lynch, I only attended the high school group, and Tim was never actually in the group while I was there. Nevertheless, I saw him around church, and he was kind of a friend by proxy.

Over the past year or so, since joining MySpace and Facebook, I have had the chance to see Tim’s name pop up here and there. Todd's page has had some videos of Tim doing silly things. Now, I doubt that all these years later, he would even remember who I was – after all, I was a friend of his older brother’s in high school, and not even like a best friend or anything. Just another dude in the youth group. Nevertheless, I'm still sad to hear of his passing after a long battle with cancer, and at such a young age of 31.

I did a quick Google search of Tim’s name, and found a blog post by one of his former high school friends. In the post she talks about how good natured and friendly Tim was, and she also quoted a poem he wrote in his journal (perhaps a blog; I haven’t determined the original source) right before he died. It’s such a wonderful look at the heart of a man who’s just gone to Heaven, written by one who was on its threshold:

I am here now.
I am finally home.
I can breathe. I can run. I can see color.
I am certain of love.
I have complete joy and complete peace.
I am exploring every corner of my imagination.
I am laughing with my family.
(Job says "hi" and not to stress about the little things)
I am singing and playing instruments.
I am playing ping pong and basketball.
I am resting.
I am free.
I am here with you.
I am here with God.

...Oh and I may have an overdue library book too, if someone could check on that for me, thanks.


According to his obituary on OregonLive, there's a memorial service/celebration of his life tomorrow at 2 p.m. at New Hope Community Church. I think it'd be worth your time to go, if you were ever a friend of Tim Fadel...even by proxy.

3 Talked Back:

At September 12, 2008 at 12:57:00 AM CDT, Blogger Stephanie said...

The original source is from Tim's Caring Bridge Journal, which I didn't want to post on my blog because it's password protected, but it has been published in the PC Alumni magazine, so I'll email you the link.

 

At September 12, 2008 at 5:42:00 PM CDT, Blogger Matt and Lori Graber said...

That is beautiful. Thank you for the post. -Cousin Lori

 

At September 14, 2008 at 8:09:00 PM CDT, Blogger Andrew Weaver said...

Thanks for sharing this with us. That poem was perfect. I'm saving it as a reminder when times are difficult. One can never have enough reminders, to keep them heading down the right path.

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home