Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Wacky address standardization hijinx!

I've talked before about the vendor address standardization that I'm doing at work. Today I feel like it's the beginning of the end, as I'm now taking on the list of directionals. I've more or less saved this until last, because I've been able to pick away at it while changing other parts of the addresses.

Most of today has been spent changing EAST to E - and I'm truly surprised at how many there are. I can't think of one time I've ever written out the word EAST on an envelope. Now a minute ago I ran across this address: 301 EAST 'A' STREET. According to the USPS, its correct standardization is: 301 E A ST, which of course looks like 301 EAST, an incomplete address. I can only imagine when the owner of this address has to give out the mailing address, and says, "No, no, it's not 301 East, it's 301 E, A, then ST. Yes, there are spaces. No, I'm not crazy. Hello? Hello?"

1 Talked Back:

At July 19, 2005 at 7:05:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

these are the ones that I got:

West E Street ==> WEST
North E Street ==> NEST

South I Street, Emergency Room ==> SISTER

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home