Thursday, August 11, 2005

Um, I don't know, "baby-sized"?

Just overheard a conversation between two ladies, one of them describing her sister's new baby. It's a conversation I've heard hundreds of times over, they're always asking about the dimensions of the child. What has always baffled me is, why is it important how many pounds, ounces, and inches this kid is? I mean, sure, if he's like 25 pounds or something, well, that's something to talk about, but other than that, I don't give a flying flip about the specifics.

What I find funny is that people always seem to know how their own dimensions at the time of their birth. How on earth did they know that? Were they laying on the scale, all of one minute old, saying, "Hey, nurse, what's the verdict?" Okay, so their moms told them. But why did they find it important enough to remember, and share with other people?

Yet again, I feel like an alien looking in at your species, thinking, "Your kind is so weird."

1 Talked Back:

At August 11, 2005 at 4:33:00 PM CDT, Blogger meagan said...

And then this particular species of ladies probably went on to discuss all the other mundane aspects of the baby: the exact minute it was born, how it cried, when it pooped for the first time.

I dislike this species.

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home