Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy 4th of July, it's time to get a new watch

We just got back from seeing the fireworks at Joplin tonight. We didn't really go down to where they were being shot off, mainly because we didn't want to be stuck in traffic forever, but we could still see them from where we were parked.

Like a lot of professional fireworks displays across the country, there was a local radio station playing an accompanying medley of patriotic songs. (Thankfully, we didn't hear Lee Greenwood's "Proud to Be an American," which I never have to hear again because it's kind of annoying to me, which I say with all due respect to my wife who loves the song). At about five minutes to 10 o'clock, they played a nice rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner," which was apparently supposed to be the finale because after it was over (and after I said "Play ball" which caused Nicole to chuckle), the announcer came on to say thanks for listening, drive safe, etc. followed by a forgettable 80's song.

However, the fireworks continued for another twenty minutes. That's right, folks: not 30 seconds, not one minute, but a third of an hour after the music was over, the fireworks finally ended.

2 Talked Back:

At July 7, 2007 at 12:49:00 AM CDT, Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

Well...there are worse things.

 

At July 12, 2007 at 1:19:00 AM CDT, Blogger h-i-p said...

Hi Stan! I skimmed the blogs on this page, my comments follow: 1) How in the world did you escape from "I'm proud to be an American"?! I think i heard it about 4 times on the 4th!! 2) Your story about the pelican is funny. Seriously. I miss you! 3) Spending a night alone from your spouse: the first time, or any time really. Isn't it strange how quickly we forget that we spent the latter part of our lives as single people in a single bed? How quickly we forget...

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home