Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bathroom observation

The men’s room in my department here at work has three urinals and three toilet stalls, one of which is the ADA-required stall designed for the handicapped. Now as far as I know, there’s only one disabled person here in this whole company, therefore this bathroom stall is just for him. But even if none of our employees was disabled, this stall is necessary (and lawful), because there could be clients or other visitors who are disabled who may need to use that stall.

It is because of this that when someone has to go the bathroom, and all stalls are available, the respectful thing to do is to use one of the normal stalls, just in case that gentleman happens to roll in and need to use the special stall. Only if the first two are taken should one consider using the third one. Yet just about every time I am in a stall doing my business, I’ll hear and see someone come in the room and walk straight to the third stall and get to work, even though the other normal stall next to me is unoccupied.

I really shouldn’t get upset about this, but I do.

Don’t get me started on guys who flush before they pee, then pee, and then walk away without flushing again. That one’s always baffled me.