Monday, March 17, 2008

I don't like it, I don't love it, I don't want no more of it

Pop music/Top 40 radio stations will usually only play the most recent hit songs, and basically overplay them until the listeners are completely sick of them. Then, when new songs are released, they’ll mercifully bump the old ones out of rotation and into oblivion (where they’ll begin new life on those other stations that play “the hits from the 80’s, 90’s and today”).

Country stations, however, will also play the top hits of today (to excess), but they still keep playing those way-overplayed hits from the last 15 years or so, almost as often as when they were released. I’m still hearing “She’s In Love With The Boy,” “Any Man of Mine” and “Love Without End, Amen” at least once a day on my office neighbor’s too-loud radio.

So, are there just not as many new country songs being released? Or are there just no appropriate “graveyard” stations to take over when the hits have run their course?