Thursday, June 05, 2008

Food from hometowns old and new

Even though I’ve been living here in Carthage/Oronogo for more than a year and a half, I still find myself getting cravings for meals only found in Portland and the Portland area. Earlier this week I really wanted a Dagwood sub from Sandwich Depot (NE 57th & Glisan), and today, it’s a Honkin’ Huge Burrito from Shelly’s Garden (Pioneer Square kiosk) I long for. Sometimes I wish I was feasting the rib-eye teriyaki combination from Du’s in Gladstone; other times it’s a Chicken BLT burrito and cheesy tots from Taco Time (the closest store is in Fort Worth, TX); an Ultimo Burrito or Baja Ensalada from Baja Fresh (there’s one in Dallas); or a Pepper Bacon Tillamook Cheeseburger from inconveniently located Burgerville.

But that’s not to say that there aren’t great places to eat at here. One of my favorite places here is Mucho Mexico in Webb City. It’s a Mexican buffet that features some items I’d never find on any restaurant’s regular menu. I also love the generous-sized cheeseburgers from Iggy’s Diner in Carthage. Johnny Carino’s on Range Line Rd. in Joplin has several unbelievably good dishes, as does The Red Onion on Main Street. Pizza by Stout, also on Range Line, makes a really good pizza, and it has an incredibly varied buffet on Sundays. And of course, there’s just not enough that can be said about Wings ‘n’ More on 7th St., which I believe is technically in Duenweg (though it might as well be in Joplin); garlic-pepper boneless wings just don’t get any better than theirs.

Oh, have I mentioned that it’s almost lunchtime?

(In case you’re interested, tonight I’ll try to add links for all the places I’ve mentioned in this post.)