Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I've been looking for a way to work in a Crocodile Dundee reference, and here it is

Sleep apnea is a condition in which basically, a person has episodes during the night where he or she stops breathing for a second or two. One common treatment for sleep apnea is for that person to wear a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) device, which has a mask that is worn on the face, This is often uncomfortable, and leads to low compliancy, which of course doesn't help the person to sleep.

Well, I'm thinking about suggesting to doctors that they have their apnea patients learn how to play a didgeridoo. Huh? How abstract is that? But see, it's really been proven to work, according to this article in the British Medical Journal. It has something to do with the circular breathing method required to sustain the musical notes. Apparently that helps to train the breathing muscles.

What the BMJ article didn't mention, however, was what beneficial effects there are of going shirtless and fighting crocodiles with a knife the size of your arm.

5 Talked Back:

At July 23, 2008 at 12:49:00 PM CDT, Blogger blessed said...

Anyone have a didgeridoo I could borrow?

 

At July 23, 2008 at 6:08:00 PM CDT, Blogger Unknown said...

It is my loving wife's elbow that helps keep my "compliancy" up.

 

At July 23, 2008 at 8:29:00 PM CDT, Blogger Matt and Lori Graber said...

We saw a booth last weekend at Portland's Saturday Market. A man was selling these, and encouraging everyone to "try it out". Although it was tempting, the reality of putting my mouth on the end of a stick that EVERYONE else that day, and probably previous weeks, had also slobbered on--helped me to get over my curiousity. And no, he wasn't cleaning them between uses. Gross!

 

At July 24, 2008 at 9:18:00 AM CDT, Blogger blessed said...

It's my addiction to breathing that keeps my compliance up.

Stan, I wish you would allow comments from other than Blogger accounts, it's the only reason I keep that account. . .I should probably change the picture though. It's at least 4 yrs old.

 

At July 24, 2008 at 10:38:00 AM CDT, Blogger stan said...

The reason I put the restriction on there was because I was getting a zillion spams on my old posts from anonymous bots. To clean those up, I had to decide between word verification, moderation and restriction, and I figured that restriction was the easiest for people who comment. Because almost everyone who commented was a Blogger themselves, and who really likes word verification?

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home