Tuesday, July 08, 2008

So much for free Internet

When I was looking at my blog's referrers today, one of the pages that came up had this message when I clicked on its link:

"Sorry, we only allow Firefox users into our site.
It's FREE."


And that was followed by a link to which I could presumably download Firefox, if a) I actually wanted it, and b) I had the permission to do so at work (which I don't).

Look, I know that there are people who don't like Internet Explorer for whatever reason, and that they'll only use Firefox, or Opera, or some other browser. But is it fair that someone can create a website that can only be viewed in one browser? I mean, color me ignorant, but HTML is HTML is HTML, right?

Why do people have to be so snobby and elitist against those who, either by choice or by necessity, use a browser other than theirs?

2 Talked Back:

At July 8, 2008 at 3:16:00 PM CDT, Blogger Samuel John Klein said...

That's sincerely interesting. Being a Mac user (and having no version of IE developed for us since MSIE 5.5 for Mac (which is so old now it has to run in Classic mode)) I can say that I get closed out of an awful lot myself.

Though It's unusual to see someone excluded for not using IE.

The whole thing is messed up really. Any browser should be able to go anywhere. This is why web designers should be standards compliant.

 

At July 8, 2008 at 3:27:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

I had no idea that you'd been blocked out of sites. I hope I've never had a site that doesn't let you look at it! :)

Hmm, perhaps it isn't elitism after all, but simply web design ignorance. Or, if I may portmanteau it, web designorance.

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home