Thursday, August 14, 2008

Happy 20th anniversary, Dave (only one week late)

August 7th marked twenty years since I first met my best friend Dave Kirkpatrick at Eagle Fern Camp.

We've had a lot of ups and downs, and lived a lot of life since then, but I'm sure we'll always remember that first week of hanging out during the "Olympic Village '88" high school week. Dave was already familiar with the camp and the churches that were represented there, and I was a newcomer who really didn't know anyone. As was (and, I suppose, still is) customary behavior for me, I tried to blend in by making wise cracks. On the first day of camp, there was some sort of skit where there were three girls who wore garbage bags over their clothes. I don't recall what the skit was about, but I do remember leaning over to Dave and whispering something about "two-ply". He laughed and said, "Dude, you'll fit right in here." And it was that statement right there that put me at ease and made me feel at home.

A few weeks later my mom got remarried and our family moved to Oregon City. Initially, this was not the greatest experience for me, since I was halfway through high school, and I had grown up with all of my classmates. So I really didn't know anyone at the new school. But then a crazy thing happened—four months later, Dave's family also moved to Oregon City. Suddenly, I had a buddy to hang out with.

Two years of high school, 18 years of life, marriage and kids (Dave has four sons), and don't forget the countless jobs between us, and we're still best friends. I mean, sure, my best friend is Nicole, and Dave has his Angela (soon to be Mrs. Angela!), but I'll still also consider Dave to be my best friend. He came to Missouri to be my best man, and I will be in Salem in October to serve as his.

Here's to twenty more years, buddy.

3 Talked Back:

At August 14, 2008 at 1:16:00 PM CDT, Blogger Matt and Lori Graber said...

That's a wonderful post, Stan, thanks for sharing. I remember my one best friend I had in 7th grade, I met her in art class when she was having trouble drawing a character off a Rice Krispies box, so I helped her. We were best friends for a few years, and then the relationship disappeared--she went to a different school and I had a boyfriend.

 

At August 19, 2008 at 2:03:00 AM CDT, Blogger Katie said...

Congrats on your anniversary! What a wonderful thing. I love friendships that stand the test of time.

Also excited you'll be in Oregon in October.

 

At August 19, 2008 at 6:52:00 AM CDT, Blogger stan said...

Guess what, Katie, I've known you for ten years! ;)

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home