Tuesday, July 28, 2009

There's probably not a future in greeting cards for me

I got a sympathy card at my desk today.
 
No, it wasn’t presented to me as the recipient of the sympathy – it was a card that was being routed to everyone in my department to sign for someone else. Our department has between 60 and 75 people, and I only work directly with about 10 of them. The rest are mostly just “say hello in the hall” people, with whom I have no real business or personal relationships. The recipient of the card is one of those folks, and he lost his grandfather recently. I was unaware of his loss until I got the card at my desk.
 
So, like a good coworker, I wrote, “Sorry for your loss,” just like five or six others had, but I was really wondering what else I could have said that didn’t sound completely awkward. Of course, since I am not from around here, and I am acquainted with very few of the locals, there’s really no chance that I would ever have met this coworker’s grandfather, except by sheer coincidence. There was really nothing else I could have said besides those four words.
 
Then I began to think of inappropriate things I could have written that would have made future hallway “Hi how are ya” moments much more awkward:
 
“Terribly sorry for your loss. Pappy was a patient man who helped me out of many a sticky situation down at the track.”
 
“Coworker: Please accept this handmade coupon for a free hug, no expiration date.”
 
“So sorry for your loss. Hope you get some good stuff, like a pool table or a classic car.”
 
“I’m sorry for your loss. Also, I’m sorry I ate your bologna sandwich out of the fridge last week.”
 
“I’m sorry about your grandfather. I wish I could tell you about his Vegas trip in ’79, but he swore me to secrecy.”
 
“Happy birthday.”

1 Talked Back:

At September 13, 2009 at 12:27:00 PM CDT, Blogger Di said...

I think anything you write is acceptable because really there is nothing you can say to make anyone feel better. It really is the thought that counts.

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home