Monday, June 20, 2005

I'm out of my element here

Right now I'm supposed to be talking on the phone to vendors, just to verify some information and collect information that we don't have. The problem is, I'm terrified of speaking on the phone to people I don't know, mainly because I barely grasp the business I work for. I just don't know that much about accounts payable, and I'm supposed to sound like I know what I'm talking about when I call these vendors. Some of these vendors are individuals who run their own businesses, who have maybe been used once by our company, yet we need to go through the whole process of setting them up as a vendor (aka red tape). I understand it's necessary, but I've already talked to a couple of them, and they either don't understand the reason for the red tape ("What's a W-9 form, and why do I need to send you a copy?") or they think it's ridiculous that I'm calling to ask them for information which we already have. I hate giving the impression that the left hand isn't talking to the right hand around here, because we're a pretty big, well-established company, and they've designated me, a temp who doesn't know much in the first place, as the liaison between said vendor and said large company. Also, there are a lot of more qualified individuals within earshot of my cubicle, who undoubetly have overheard me make a fool of myself while talking to these vendors. Like I need that extra pressure.

So I'm freaked out. Freaked out hard.

4 Talked Back:

At June 20, 2005 at 8:15:00 PM CDT, Blogger meagan said...

" I'm terrified of speaking on the phone to people I don't know"

I'm terrified of speaking on the phone even to people I do know!

Well, okay, not quite terrified. But it's certainly un-enjoyable.

You could just lie to them. Make the company sound more interesting than it really is.
yay for email.

 

At June 21, 2005 at 7:36:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

pretend they're naked, it won't make you know more, but it will make you care less

 

At June 21, 2005 at 8:06:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

Should I imagine that they're about to kiss a squirrel?

 

At June 22, 2005 at 11:21:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

well, that would be just wierd

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home