Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Selfish drivers

Normally, my commute to work isn't troublesome at all. Of course, there are some slow spots, which get slower the later in the hour it gets, but on the whole it's not too bad. Today, it was multiple-bad.

First, I had an extra-long Dodge Ram pickup suddenly whip in front of me, taking up 1 ½ of the two car lengths I had allowed. Not that that freaked me out or anything, it was just a surprise to see a guy do that with a larger vehicle.

Later on, when the two lanes opened up to three, traffic sped up as usual, including me. A little ways ahead of me was a green light which I suspected was going to turn yellow before I reached it. Sure enough it did, but I wasn't going to run it because a) I had plenty of time to stop, and b) there was a Ford pickup in front of me with the same idea. The drivers in the lane to my left had a totally different idea, though.

In the front of the left-lane pack were three cars: A blue Geo Metro, a reddish car I've forgotten, and a white Honda Civic. As we all approached the yellow light, my lane slowed down. The Geo (who was in front) slowed as well. But drivers of the red car and the Civic had already decided to run the yellow, so they pressed forward. Suddenly, the red car shot over into my lane in front of the Ford pickup (who, fortunately, had stopped a couple of yards short of the line). The driver of the Honda obviously hadn't seen the Geo come to a stop, because she skidded and plowed right into its rear end. Crunch! I watched as the drivers of the two cars got out, insurance papers in hand, so I knew that they weren't traumatically hurt.

Once I got up to Grand Avenue, where traffic's down to 30 mph and there's a signal every few blocks, I watched in amazement as other people who had seen the wreck ran those yellow lights. Nobody learned anything!

4 Talked Back:

At July 20, 2005 at 1:34:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

my new favorites are (1) the extra three of four cars that continues to make left turns even though their left-turn arrow is no longer green (thereby completely screwing up the number of number of cars that can legally get through the light that is green) and (2) the drivers who simply cannot comprehend two-lane left turns -- they are either in the left-most left turn lane and cut into the right lane when turning, or they are in the right-most left turn lane and cut into the left lane when turning.

 

At July 20, 2005 at 3:10:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

I hear ya on both of those, Jim.

I also dislike it when I'm turning right, and someone from the opposing traffic is turning left, both of us onto the same street...they have their lane (the left) and I have my lane (the right), yet people always want to widen their left turn to spill them into the right lane. Honk!

 

At July 21, 2005 at 7:43:00 PM CDT, Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

Hope you don't mind, I just happened across your blog. I myself was rear ended only 1 week ago, my jeep is still in the shop. Damn those crazy drivers! :)

 

At July 22, 2005 at 11:14:00 AM CDT, Blogger stan said...

Hi, sherri, I don't mind at all!

I hope that you didn't get hurt in the wreck, but if you did, I hope you recover fully!

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home