Monday, August 15, 2005

Okay, here's one pic from the beach.

South Jetty, Fort Stevens State Park, Oregon:

On the left, the Pacific Ocean. On the right, the mouth of the mighty Columbia River. The jetty extends into the sea quite a ways; from where I stood, it looked like it'd take a couple of hours or more of rock-traversing just to get to the tip.

Here's the satellite view
to give you a sense of scale. This photo was from the observation tower. Later, (as will be seen in a couple of pics to be added later) I was standing on the part where the sandy beach to the north touches the jetty.

6 Talked Back:

At August 15, 2005 at 5:44:00 PM CDT, Blogger Scott said...

cool picture, now all you have to do is get a digital camera.
I have never been to that part of the Oregon coast.

 

At August 15, 2005 at 6:16:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

is the jetty to protect the river from the ocean, or the ocean from the river?

 

At August 15, 2005 at 6:22:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

River from the ocean, I believe. I didn't read all of the history, but I believe it was built in 1898 or something. How the crap they got all of those huge rocks out there, I can't fathom (pun intended).

 

At August 16, 2005 at 12:37:00 AM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

been pretty funny if you'd found a filter out there

 

At August 16, 2005 at 5:17:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

and why do they call it a jetty, can it fly?

 

At August 17, 2005 at 12:23:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

I finally uploaded the remaining pictures from last weekend. There weren't too many on my phone, as I didn't carry it around for most of the time.

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home