Monday, September 26, 2005

The one and only list I'll ever do

I normally don't do these lists (I avoid calling them memes because I can't stand that word), but this is about blogging itself; so, in the interest of giving you, fair reader, a better sense of my blogging approach, I present this list. (Copied from Chicken Little's blog, Chicken Fried Life)

Blogging about... Blogging

1. Do you try to look hot when you go to the grocery store just in case someone recognizes you from your blog? (edited) I shop at Winco, where most customers don't even know what a computer is, much less a blog.

2. Are the photos you post Photoshopped or otherwise altered? Unaltered, at least the ones with me actually in them

3. Do you like it when creeps or dorks email you? Hasn't happened, but bring on the dorks; no creeps, please.

4. Do you lie in your blog? There's not enough room in here to sit, much less lie down.

5. Are you passive-aggressive in your blog? I don't know...maybe someone will tell me what that means.

6. Do you ever threaten to quit writing so people will tell you not to stop? I wouldn't do that, honest.

7. Are you in therapy? If not, should you be? No, and probably not.

8. Do you delete mean comments? Do you fake nice ones? I delete spam and inappropriate subject matter. I edit and repost comments with swearing. I don't fake nice comments.

9. [This question is not appropriate subject matter for this blog.]

10. If your readers knew you in person, would they like you more or like you less? I don't know, I'm kind of a dork. They might find me more boring, if anything.

11. Do you have a job? For now.

12. If someone offered you a decent salary to blog full-time without restrictions, would you do it? Oh yes, and I'd try to post 100 times a day.

13. Which blogger do you want to meet in real life? See the "Blogs I Read" column at right. Pretty much those people. Dave Barry would be cool to meet. Maybe the Anonymous Lawyer, even though he's probably a jerk :)

14. Which bloggers have you made out with? Exactly zero. Unless there's an old girlfriend with a blog that I don't know about.

15. Do you usually act like you have more money or less money than you really have? I'm pretty much always poor. No secrets there.

16. Does your family read your blog? I know my mom does sometimes, maybe some extended family. I keep my blog clean so that my 92-year-old grandma wouldn't be offended if she were to read it.

17. How old is your blog? I started it in June 2003 but didn't blog in earnest until February 2005. I started all of my other blogs this year.

18. Do you get more than 1000 page views per day? Do you care? No, I get anywhere from 20 to 100 a day, and I don't care about that. I check the stats mainly to see what humorous web searches brought people here.

19. Do you have another secret blog in which you write about being depressed, slutty, or a liar? I have several non-public blogs. One is an image dump and template tester. One is supposed to be for the county letterhead project (which I'm giving up, by the way). One is for another project idea along the lines of Stuff on My Cat (but with no cats).

20. Have you ever given another blogger money for his/her writing? No

21. Do you report the money you earn from your blog on your taxes? Nothing to claim.

22. Is blogging narcissistic? I suppose it can be. (HEY EVERYONE, COME AND SEE HOW GOOD I LOOK)

23. Do you feel guilty when you don't post for a long time? By long time, you mean like more than 6 hours since the last post? Maybe if it's been a couple of days. Six hours, no. I do keep telling myself it's time for a week off (but not to get attention - see #6).

24. Do you like John Mayer? I don't even like Oscar Mayer.

25. Do you have enemies? Not as far as I know.

26. Are you lonely? Sometimes, but not usually.

27. Why bother? Because.

10 Talked Back:

At September 26, 2005 at 5:43:00 PM CDT, Blogger Scott said...

The question #10,
I know you in person, and I don't think you're a dork. If I thought you were a dork, I guess that would make me a dork too, since we were roommates at one time, no, make that two times :)

 

At September 26, 2005 at 6:29:00 PM CDT, Blogger Shirley said...

I'm glad you liked this meme. I didn't make up the questions.

23. Do you feel guilty when you don't post for a long time? By long time, you mean like more than 6 hours since the last post?
The second question is part of my answer, only the first part is actually the question.

And I'll try to remember to keep it clean on your blog. I work with a lot of unsavoury characters and hear unsuitable language all day long.

 

At September 26, 2005 at 7:00:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

Chicken little - On #23, consider that your contribution, thus full credit can now go to you! (I saw that you had a source for your list too...I just didn't want to daisy-chain the credits)

Scott: It's all subjective, I guess. One person's dork is another person's non-dork. :)

 

At September 27, 2005 at 1:06:00 AM CDT, Blogger Katie said...

You make me giggle... There are in fact not a lot of people at Win Co. who have computers!

 

At September 28, 2005 at 5:13:00 PM CDT, Blogger Samuel John Klein said...

Okay, I give up: Who's John Mayer?

Ignorant am I.

 

At September 29, 2005 at 1:17:00 AM CDT, Blogger stan said...

I don't know. A famous blogger, I'm guessing. I'm too lazy to Google the name....

 

At September 29, 2005 at 5:30:00 AM CDT, Blogger Samuel John Klein said...

I'm too lazy too, altho' his name is ringing a bell. I'm so lazy I'm not going to acknowlede it.

I hereby nominate tag him "The Fifth Beatle" and call it happy.

 

At September 29, 2005 at 8:54:00 AM CDT, Blogger Shirley said...

OK, you all got my curiosity up. Apparently he's a musician. And apparently he is supposed to sound similar to Dave Matthews. Yeah, I still have no clue who he is.

 

At September 29, 2005 at 10:03:00 AM CDT, Blogger stan said...

If he sounds like Dave Matthews, I probably don't want to know who he is (Sorry, Katie).

 

At October 1, 2005 at 5:00:00 PM CDT, Blogger historymike said...

1. Completely oblivious to how I look at the grocery store, except for a shirt without mustard stains.
11. Yes, 4 jobs. My blog is a way to cross-promote myself.
15. Have always had exactly enough money to eat and keep the mortgage paid. Don't know if that's luck, grand design, or Providence.
17. My blogs are all 3-5 months old.
18. Funny - 1000 daily views. My blog generates, on a really good day, 100 page views. Building slowly...
19. I have an alter-ego that I am keeping a distance from because his blog-skewering could result in a mountain of lawsuits.
21. Have not yet made a single cent. I'll worry about that if/when revenue actually comes in.
23. Yes, I set a goal of maintaining no less than a one-day absence. Can't stand the guilt.

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home