Wednesday, November 23, 2005

But I got the sandwich unwrapped in a jiffy

I blog on the most mundane things, don't I?

Lunchtime! I bought a small container of tuna cheddar pasta salad from the deli across the street, and I am now finally eating it. For a few seconds there, however, I didn't think I'd get the chance. The deli recently changed the type of plastic container they use to sell product in. As I began lifting the lid of the new style container, I began to realize that the only way I could get the thing open was to pry it up a little at a time, going all the way around, like a paint can, until the whole lid was free. The problem is that as I was undoing the lid on one side, it re-closed itself on the opposite side. This went on, noisily, for quite a while. It really was the lid-opening equivalent of a cat chasing its tail. Finally I had the presence of mind to hold my index finger in the gap to keep it from resealing, and I got the lid off, but this resulted in getting pasta salad all over the finger. And, when the lid finally let go, I nearly dropped the whole darned thing on the floor.

So for future reference, next time you need a bomb dismantled in a hurry, I'm obviously not your guy.

3 Talked Back:

At November 23, 2005 at 4:48:00 PM CST, Blogger Katie said...

This brings to mind my efforts at popping the rear tail light out on my car. The exact same frustration and the light popping back into the hole. Grrrr...

I'm glad you were finally able to consume it. I would hate to see you go hungry due to ridiculous packaging. ;-)

 

At November 24, 2005 at 9:59:00 AM CST, Blogger meagan said...

In this modern world of quick conveniences, I find it quite frustrating to have to work so hard to get ready-made food!

 

At November 25, 2005 at 12:31:00 AM CST, Blogger Jim said...

they do that to help you burn calories -- you're supposed to burn more calories getting the container open that are contained in the food in the container

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home