Thursday, December 01, 2005

Power brown-outs: the gift that keeps on giving

Every Christmas season, the neighbors across the street become Clark Griswold when it comes to putting up Christmas lights. I think that the large house, which is up the hill a ways, is probably visible from a distance, which draws people in to look at it; our street is not a main thoroughfare by any stretch of the imagination, so all of the people who clog the street must be visitors from other neighborhoods.


This is what it looks like from the end of the long driveway. Because of the large buffer, visitors who want to take a closer look have to idle on the street, which sometimes causes traffic problems and certainly more noise than usual - right in front of my house - none of which burdens my neighbors at all. They get the sweet end of the deal, people from afar feeding their narcissism; while we, in the humble house across the street, get all of the nuisance, thank you very much.

6 Talked Back:

At December 1, 2005 at 3:34:00 PM CST, Blogger Jen said...

Your blog is hilarious. Thanks for providing entertainment during the 8 hours of hellish boredom otherwise known as my job.

 

At December 1, 2005 at 3:40:00 PM CST, Blogger Jim said...

I would be out in that street every night with a santa hat, a kettle, and a bell -- you could pick yourself up a nice chunk of change, ho, ho, ho

 

At December 1, 2005 at 6:45:00 PM CST, Blogger stan said...

Norma - Thanks a bunch, I'm glad I can provide the distraction. Be sure to check out the other blogs I'm involved in (Zrharc, 185, OCCPPA) if you haven't already.

Jim - I'm a wimp, it's too cold out there for me. Wimpy, wimpy me.

 

At December 1, 2005 at 9:25:00 PM CST, Blogger kristen said...

it must be too cold cause you can't even go walk up that big hill alone when it's cold out!

 

At December 2, 2005 at 8:28:00 AM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something like that happened around her a while ago. I kind of live out in the desert a bit so there is a lot of wildlife here. And a hawk made a nest on top of a cactus that was next to the street that I live on. Traffic was tough getting out because people would park along the street.

 

At December 2, 2005 at 10:47:00 AM CST, Blogger Scott said...

Stan, got any snow down there yet?

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home