Thursday, February 16, 2006

It's Spring Drive time (no, this not a car commercial)

It's time for my annual Spring Drive, a personal tradition I started in 1991, and which actually takes place in the winter most of the time. The Spring Drive is a time when the sun has started making its first appearances of the year, and I take advantage of it by spending a Saturday or Sunday just driving way out into the countryside with no destination in mind. It's a good feeling to have the sun warm me through the windows of the car, not too hot for comfort. I like to get out there, explore some rural lanes I've never been on before, stop at a country store for a snack, drive a little slower than usual, and occasionally wave at the locals.

Two years ago I waited until May to take the drive, and when I did, for the first time, I wasn't alone on the drive. She was my date for the day, and we had a nice drive to Silver Falls. Almost one year ago today, that same person and I drove to Cape Meares, and had a great time. I once thought that there was a chance I might be with her for a long time to come, so I opened up that little private part of my world for her to share. That was not meant to be.

So this year, I am alone again. I'm not saddened by this fact, although I do know that it would make for a nicer drive if she were with me. I'm happy that the weather will probably be sunny on Saturday, and I look forward to being out on the road again, watching nature as it anticipates the springtime.

I think I'm heading southeast this year. Maybe I'll go to the desert...I've never been there in February.

4 Talked Back:

At February 16, 2006 at 1:39:00 PM CST, Blogger kristen said...

sounds beautiful. i think it's supposed to rain here over the weekend so i'm jealous of your summer weather. wait. we're having summer weather right now, too bad i have to work and try to find a new job!!

 

At February 16, 2006 at 4:59:00 PM CST, Blogger Scott said...

I need, or I should Laura and I need to make that "Spring Drive", down to Portland, or down to Cannon Beach. Since I have "a new car" to drive.
It would be alot cheaper to drive then the Nova.

 

At February 17, 2006 at 2:25:00 PM CST, Blogger Jim said...

Take me riding in the car, car;
Take me riding in the car, car;
Take you riding in the car, car;
I'll take you riding in my car.

Click clack, open up the door, girls;
Click clack, open up the door, boys;
Front door, back door, clickety clack,
Take you riding in my car.

Climb, climb, rattle on the front seat;
Spree I spraddle on the backseat;
Turn my key, step on my starter,
Take you riding in my car.

Engine it goes boom, boom;
Engine it goes boom, boom;
Front seat, backseat, boys and girls,
Take you riding in my car.

Trees and the houses walk along;
Trees and the houses walk along;
Truck and a car and a garbage can,
Take you riding in my car.

Ships and the little boars chug along;
Ships and the little boats chug along;
Boom buhbuh boom boom boom buh boom,
Take you riding in my car.

I'm a gonna send you home again;
I'm a gonna send you home again;
Boom, boom, buhbuh boom, rolling home,
Take you riding in my car.

I'm a gonna let You blow the horn;
I'm a gonna let you blow the horn;
A oorah, a oorah, a oogah, oogah,
I'll take you riding in my car.

Woody Guthrie

 

At February 17, 2006 at 4:07:00 PM CST, Blogger stan said...

That makes me happy inside!

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home