Thursday, January 08, 2009

draw first

Since I gave my failed 2008 art commitment a title, I decided that I should name this year's thing as well. I have called it draw first, and it's in all-lowercase to symbolize a more humble approach to the endeavor. I am not going to put as much pressure on myself to create and post a finished product every day. That killed me last year, especially as the weather got warmer and I found myself wanting to do other things. I am also not going to catalog every art piece that I do, like I did last year. For one thing, I may not even finish everything that I start. Also, I may take weeks and weeks just to finish one project, especially if I set it aside to work on something else. I may start multiple projects at once. I may take a whole week and just doodle in my sketchbook. It's up to me. My only real commitment is to get up early every weekday and draw something (I will consider weekends optional, just because sometimes there are other plans that come first).

So now let's take a look at what I have so far. I have tried to remember to at least take a photo of or scan whatever I do, in order to be accountable for the daily commitment. I didn't start this until January 5, because I spent New Year's weekend staying up ridiculously late every night playing Xbox games.

Each image links to its respective Flickr page.

January 5:


January 6: No photo taken, but I did get up early to work on the project.

January 7:


January 8:


This project is called Stanley Islands. If you follow the link to January 5 on Flickr, you can read a little bit what about it is.

1 Talked Back:

At January 8, 2009 at 8:15:00 PM CST, Blogger Matt and Lori Graber said...

This looks like a fun project...

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home