Friday, March 18, 2005

I'm All Fizzed Out

A week ago Monday, I decided that I was going to try to go seven days without drinking any soda whatsoever. I haven't challenged myself to do this since 1997 or thereabouts (and I was successful), so I figured it was time to try it again.

I will say that it's a little bit easier this time around, as I have slowly changed my soda drinking habits over the last few years. It used to be that the standard size of soda I'd buy was a 44-ounce fountain, because darn it, it's more value for my money. I cut back to 32 oz., and sometimes just bought 22-oz. or a 20-ounce bottle. Plus, over the last three or four years, I've increased my bottled water consumption considerably. The other thing I did about 18 months ago was to switch from exclusively sugared soda to diet Coke and the like. I enthusiastically embraced diet Coke with Lime--it's pretty tasty. A few weeks ago I accidentally ordered a regular Coke, and I practically could not drink it. (Now I see there's regular Coke with Lime, which just sounds disgustingly sweet!)

The only carbonated drink I've had was a bottle of sparkling Pellegrino from the gelato place last weekend. I don't really count it, because it was still just water. I've had a couple of drinks of tea, and today I opened up a bottle of Dole Light fruit juice (yay, it has Sucralose, not sugar!); other than that, it's been strictly water. Fortunately for my wallet, Portland tap water is pretty palatable, but I still run it through the Brita. At work, I have unlimited access to the filtered water from the soda fountain - I love that little "hidden" switch next to the iced tea tap.

As for the benefits of dropping the pop, I haven't noticed too many changes within my own body, except for the fact that I'm a lot less farty than I was before. I'm sure that my pancreas appreciates the reduction in sugar, especially since my heredity says I have a good chance of developing diabetes at some point. There's the caffeine factor, too...I'm already past the withdrawals. And generally speaking, soda is just full of chemical garbage, so it can't hurt. And oh yeah, there's this to think about.

I don't know how long the soda embargo will last, because I still catch myself reaching for it sometimes, but I'll get used to it, I'm sure.

Now let's hope that I don't become a coffee addict!

1 Talked Back:

At March 18, 2005 at 11:28:00 PM CST, Blogger nitsuj said...

I can't remember if I've ever tried to give up drinking pop. I drink at least a can or small Subway cupful a day and haven't really noticed any negative side effects. Then again, I don't know if I would notice them without seeing how I feel without drinking soda. Oh well, it gets me momentarily hyper and that's always fun. On second thought, the post-sugar high crash is never good times. As for coffee, I've never liked the stuff, so I doubt I'll be getting addicted to that as well any time soon. Good luck with the soda-to-water transition. See you at J&S.

- The ever-elusive PTM! -

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home