Wednesday, July 20, 2005

A pleasant walk back

I took the train downtown at lunch today, so I could pay for next month's parking. On the way back, I forgot that MAX (the train system) has a Yellow Line spur that goes north from the Rose Quarter, when I wanted the Blue or Red Lines, which go east. But since the office is only a few blocks from the Rose Quarter, I decided to walk the rest of the way.

I used a crosswalk with a signal type I'd never seen before: when the hand symbol is flashing, there's a little digital timer just to the right of it, counting down the seconds until the crosswalk is closed. It's another one of those things that makes me wonder why it took so long for someone to think of it.

10 Talked Back:

At July 20, 2005 at 3:27:00 PM CDT, Blogger Scott said...

I've seen one of those, but can't remember where, maybe Seattle? Or maybe Portland.

 

At July 20, 2005 at 5:42:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

Sorry, Scott, I didn't catch the train numbers on the MAX today... :)

 

At July 20, 2005 at 6:13:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

Houston used to have yellow lights that counted down to the red

 

At July 20, 2005 at 6:18:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

I am informed that Houston no longer has any, but that they are common in the Pacifc Rim

 

At July 20, 2005 at 6:36:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

Well, that takes the guesswork out of how illegal one's red light-running is.

 

At July 20, 2005 at 8:17:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

stan, you put your camera on the dash of your car and took a picture of yourself?

 

At July 20, 2005 at 8:50:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

Pretty much. I held it out in front of me, right next to the dash, and hoped for the best (it was a film camera, not a digital.)

Although I was actually in the passenger seat at the time...I reversed the image to make it look like I was driving.

 

At July 20, 2005 at 10:16:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

so the picture is actually The Bizarro Stan

 

At July 21, 2005 at 12:38:00 AM CDT, Blogger stan said...

Indeed. Also known as Nats. (NVLS)

 

At July 21, 2005 at 12:47:00 AM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

you could have not reversed the photo and just labeled the photo "My Vacation in England"

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home