Thursday, July 28, 2005

This Bud's for you recreational water sports

I've been seeing this billboard on the way to work for the last few weeks, and I've got to say, it's one of the most ridiculous ads I've ever seen. In case you can't make it out, it's a guy jet skiing on a wave of beer. That's right: A wave. Of beer.




The fine folks at Budweiser seem to be saying: Don't drink and boat, but boating in beer's okay, as long as you have enough to create a giant wave.

I'll bet when this guy gets off his jet ski and stands in the hot sun for a couple of minutes, his sticky skin tells him that jet skiing in beer was a bad choice.

9 Talked Back:

At July 28, 2005 at 12:49:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

Sorry, Anonymous, I had to take down your comment because the length of the URL was messing up the blog design.

Here's the link to an Oregonian article about these very billboards. I guess I wasn't the only one who thought they were ridiculous.

 

At July 28, 2005 at 2:07:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

here in St. Louis we call that the Mississippi

 

At July 28, 2005 at 2:15:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

That's what I figured.

 

At July 28, 2005 at 4:44:00 PM CDT, Blogger meagan said...

Not to mention how much he would stink. If you're going to surf in beer, at least make it a high quality brew!

 

At July 28, 2005 at 4:50:00 PM CDT, Blogger Scott said...

yeah, like a mircobrew from Portland.

 

At July 28, 2005 at 5:24:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

I think that jet skiing in any brand, style, or origin of beer would be pretty unpleasant afterwards.

Maybe it's because my first job was a bottle counter at the grocery store, and I got all manner of disgusting empties returned to me that i couldn't avoid smelling. (I know that that's the one major reason why I never even really drank anything until I was, what, 26?)

 

At July 28, 2005 at 5:57:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

a bottle counter, did you live in Mayberry?

 

At July 28, 2005 at 6:31:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

Close. Oregon City.

I don't know about Missouri or Illinois, but Oregon's one of those states that passed a Bottle Bill in the 70's, requiring that certain beverage containers were required to have a 5¢ deposit.

My first job was the lowest paying and lowest-stature job at the Danielson's Thriftway store: the bottle counter. People would come in with huge cartfuls of empty soda and beer cans and bottles, in all stages of cleanliness (from Thoughtfully Rinsed to Impromptu Toilet), and I had to count them and write a ticket for the amount of refund.

People would wait months, even years to finally clear out the 1,000 empties from their wet garden sheds or wherever, and the odor was incredibly bad. I could have been the Lysol Customer of the Year for how much of it I used.

 

At July 28, 2005 at 8:30:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

I lived in Iowa for a short time. They had a deposit law also, but you could not get your deposit back on a bent can, because the can crushers would not accept them.

I also worked in a grocery store in high school. It was and still is on the side of a big hill, as is its parking lot. My most famous adventure while helping a customoer to her car was tilting the cart a little too much thereby sending about two dozen little jars of baby food rolling down the hill. Those that made it to the bottom of the hill took flight at the end of the parking lot and crashed onto the driveway about six feet below. Yes, it rained jars of baby food down onto someone's Chevy that day!

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home