Monday, July 25, 2005

Things to do before I turn 300,000 [open thread]

I've gotten different ideas of things I'd like to do with the rest of my life, and usually they're weird ideas that I'll never actually accomplish. Some of them I don't even think I'd like to do, but the accomplishment of having done them would make the effort worthwhile.

A sample of some of the good things:

  • Learn how to make wooden furniture, and sell or give the pieces to friends and family.
  • Learn how to play the piano well, but secretly, so that one day I can go somewhere with friends, or a girlfriend, or whoever, and blow them away with this skill that nobody knew I had.
  • Visit every city and town in the state of Oregon, and photograph the post office as proof. Then move on to Washington, Idaho, Nevada, etc.
  • Learn to paint in watercolor, and, you know, paint something.
  • Write a novel about a woman who doesn't know she's pregnant, then gets into a car accident which sends her into a coma for years; but the baby somehow still grows inside of her and is delivered, and when mom wakes up, she discovers she has a 5-year-old child.

And now, some of the weirder stuff:

  • Write down every number from 1 to 1,000,000. It would take years, even decades.
  • Collect a million of something. I don't know what my fascination with a million is, but if I collected a million of something that'd be pretty impressive. Unless it was a million dirt clods or something.
  • Take one picture each of every street's sign blade in Portland. Obviously, I wouldn't shoot every sign; there must be a million of them! (see above) But one per street name, that'd be sufficient.
  • Find a secluded spot on a hill in the woods somewhere, and build an underground room that I can retreat to, where I can draw, paint, write, pray, etc. Then conceal it with leaves and branches when I leave, so that nobody has any clue that it exists.

Now here's the encouraging thing. I believe that we are given certain gifts and abilities when we are born, and also the natural desires to do certain things. But oftentimes, the desires and abilities never intersect, and we go through our life on Earth having never accomplished some things we wanted to do. So why did we have the desires in the first place? Perhaps they will never be realized until we're living our eternal life in Heaven. Somewhere out there is a quadriplegic who's always wanted to build houses, but won't be able to until he passes from this life to the next, receiving his new, eternal body; then he'll build huge mansions!

Perhaps I'll never learn an instrument or make a stick of furniture while I'm here...so I'll spend the first few hundred thousand years in Heaven learning those crafts!

1 Talked Back:

At July 25, 2005 at 8:49:00 PM CDT, Blogger meagan said...

psst...i can teach you that secret skill of playing piano. you'd just have to travel to southern oregon once a month or so :-)

love meagan

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home