Monday, November 14, 2005

Grant me serenity

Two years ago, I worked as a temp for an electronic security system manufacturer. I was in the Purchasing department with about seven or eight buyers. Once the Christmas season hit, one of the buyers brought in an Amy Grant Christmas CD (Home for Christmas), and played it nonstop for two solid weeks. I am not exaggerating here. Every day, for nine hours each day, her CD was playing on the CD boombox in the center of the room.

Naturally, this drove me insane, but there was nothing I could do, as I was just the lowly temp. Never before had I anticipated December 26 with such fervor.

This morning, I came into the office and sat down in my cubicle, refreshed from three days off and ready to start the week. Not five minutes into my workday, I heard, from two cubicles away, the very same Amy Grant CD that tortured me before. And yes, it's set on repeat.

It's gonna be a long month.