Monday, December 05, 2005

Ten things that take me back: December

An orange and a nickel from Grandma*
Sweet Mart
The smell of Eraser Mate ink
Buck Rogers and Congo Bongo games for the C64
That big multi-colored pillow in the family room
Cub Scout meetings at St. Aiden's
The plane crash within a mile of my house
National Geographics in the living room bookcase
Dad's blue, cardboard coin-collector books
Collecting newspapers every Saturday


*Every year, Grandma Kost would give everyone in the family an orange with a nickel taped to it. I never understood the tradition (or remembered the meaning behind it, if it was indeed explained); but, even though I was a typical toy-craving materialistic kid, I always loved and appreciated the simple gift Grandma gave us.

4 Talked Back:

At December 6, 2005 at 12:32:00 AM CST, Blogger Jim said...

you forgot the part about Aunt Bea and Opie :)

 

At December 6, 2005 at 1:10:00 AM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa....my first time leaving my 2.1 cents! But I can't find the "cents" sign and i know you'll be annoyed if i write it like this: $002.1 all this trouble and all i really wanted to say was that i always get an orange in the bottom of my stocking on christmas morning and it may very well be the best part of the day.

 

At December 6, 2005 at 10:04:00 AM CST, Blogger stan said...

The girl: You can go ahead and leave as many comments as you need to make yourself at home here. :)

 

At December 6, 2005 at 6:34:00 PM CST, Blogger stan said...

Yesterday I was talking to my boss about the orange/nickel tradition, and she hadn't heard of it, either.

A few minutes later we were talking about King Kong, and she didn't believe me when I said there was a King Kong movie made in the 1980s. So she bet me an orange with a nickel that I was wrong. I wasn't wrong. Sure enough, this morning I was given an orange with a nickel taped to it, and it reminded me of Grandma.

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home