Monday, December 05, 2005

Ten things that take me back: December

An orange and a nickel from Grandma*
Sweet Mart
The smell of Eraser Mate ink
Buck Rogers and Congo Bongo games for the C64
That big multi-colored pillow in the family room
Cub Scout meetings at St. Aiden's
The plane crash within a mile of my house
National Geographics in the living room bookcase
Dad's blue, cardboard coin-collector books
Collecting newspapers every Saturday


*Every year, Grandma Kost would give everyone in the family an orange with a nickel taped to it. I never understood the tradition (or remembered the meaning behind it, if it was indeed explained); but, even though I was a typical toy-craving materialistic kid, I always loved and appreciated the simple gift Grandma gave us.

7 Talked Back:

At December 6, 2005 at 12:32:00 AM CST, Blogger Jim said...

you forgot the part about Aunt Bea and Opie :)

 

At December 6, 2005 at 1:10:00 AM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa....my first time leaving my 2.1 cents! But I can't find the "cents" sign and i know you'll be annoyed if i write it like this: $002.1 all this trouble and all i really wanted to say was that i always get an orange in the bottom of my stocking on christmas morning and it may very well be the best part of the day.

 

At December 6, 2005 at 1:11:00 AM CST, Blogger the girl said...

wait....i thought i had to have a blog to post a comment on here! hmmm...maybe this will work. hang on.

 

At December 6, 2005 at 1:12:00 AM CST, Blogger the girl said...

that was pretty sweet. i unintentionally left that post at 11:11

 

At December 6, 2005 at 10:04:00 AM CST, Blogger stan said...

The girl: You can go ahead and leave as many comments as you need to make yourself at home here. :)

 

At December 6, 2005 at 12:06:00 PM CST, Blogger InterstellarLass said...

My grandma and grandpa used to put nuts in our stockings. Lots of nuts. Whole nuts. And oranges. And apples. I don't eat nuts.

 

At December 6, 2005 at 6:34:00 PM CST, Blogger stan said...

Yesterday I was talking to my boss about the orange/nickel tradition, and she hadn't heard of it, either.

A few minutes later we were talking about King Kong, and she didn't believe me when I said there was a King Kong movie made in the 1980s. So she bet me an orange with a nickel that I was wrong. I wasn't wrong. Sure enough, this morning I was given an orange with a nickel taped to it, and it reminded me of Grandma.

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home