Monday, December 11, 2006

Another test, this time with images.

Normally, when I upload a picture to the blog, I use the Add Image button, which brings up a new window. I browse to find the image I want to upload, then I choose where I want it positioned relative to the text, and I also choose what size I want the "thumbnail" image to be. THESE ARE NON-CRUCIAL STEPS, because I always end up peeling the URL of the image out of the code and pasting it where I really want it to go. And it's never been a problem before.

Well, this morning I was going to start posting the rest of my Joel and Steve comics, one by one, and I got hung up on the first one I tried. I uploaded the image as normal, but when I took the image URL out and pasted it where I needed it, it came up as a broken link. This makes no sense to me, because the image URL is straightforward. It starts with http:// and ends with .jpg, and the rest of the path looks okay, too (albeit with a lot more gobbledygook than it used to have...whereas before there were simple, numbered subfolders, now they are labeled with longer alphanumeric strings.)

So here's a test: I am going to upload an image, and it will be a clickable thumbnail image of something larger because Blogger forces you to do it that way. I will then copy the URL of the larger image out of the code (which is what I really want) and attempt to place it below the first image.




And there we have it. A broken link the second time.

The new Blogger sucks.

3 Talked Back:

At December 11, 2006 at 1:16:00 PM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh you're right... it does.

Try hosting your images here:
http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/

Or talk to a certain friend of your wife's about purchasing some webhosting...

 

At December 11, 2006 at 3:06:00 PM CST, Blogger Katie said...

Hmmm... I just read about the new blogger today and I'm torn. I have moral issues with getting a gmail account (they are taking over the world) and you are required to have one. Though I knew it would be inevitable that I would eventually have to have an account with them. Sigh.

 

At December 11, 2006 at 6:41:00 PM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drink the Kool-Aid Kati. Gmail is AWESOME. Mix it with Firefox, Google Reader, and a few Grease Monkey scripts and you'll be a happy, happy woman.

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home