Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Somewhere, after reading this, a 971'er will sing "We Shall Overcome"

Someone called me this morning with a number I kind of recognized. I thought it might've been Dave, but his name, which is stored in the phone, didn't come up...just a raw number. I don't answer calls from unrecognized numbers. Whoever called left me no voice mail.

I checked my phone book, and sure enough, Dave's number is very similar to the one that called me. This was the text message conversation that followed:

Me: Dave did you call me earlier with another phone? If not do you recognize 971-xxx-xxxx?

Dave: Not me. Not my number.

Me: Just very close. Those 971 numbers all look the same to me. Does that make me a 503 snob, or a prefix bigot?
:)

3 Talked Back:

At November 2, 2005 at 7:13:00 PM CST, Blogger meagan said...

Hah I love it! I feel like I am still a 503 snob, even though my whole region is now 541. I'm still getting used to it. After 10 years, or whatever it's been since Oregon decided to have two area codes. Those 971's are quite confusing. Couldn't they at least have gone with 543 or 504 or something semi-similar to the original numbers?

love meagan

 

At November 3, 2005 at 10:19:00 AM CST, Blogger stan said...

That's funny, from the links list on the right, it works with the www in the URL. In the post, it didn't. (I just did copy-paste.) Guess I'll just update the links list for the future.

Yeah, yeah, I know that J&S are a year out of date. Remember when it was supposed to be a flash-forward? Now it's a year flash-back. Me lazy.

 

At November 4, 2005 at 8:39:00 PM CST, Blogger Katie said...

Everytime I see 971 I think someone is calling from out of state, like Cali. Theirs is 916 so I get confused and don't ever pick up. Of course I never pick up unknown numbers... Its safer to let them leave a voicemail and call back when I know its safe.

Another similiar thought... Have you ever mis-dialed a number and hung up and then had the mis-dial call you back and ask what you want? I hate that! If I didn't leave a message I probably got the wrong number. Its always awkward.

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home