Sunday, June 04, 2006

It's the Starlight Parade!

You know, I didn't think I'd even see the parade this year, but I was already downtown to see a movie, and the movie was over right before the parade started.

The movie, by the way, was District B13, and it was amazing (while at the same time mindless). It's basically a showcase for acrobatic fighting and running around, in the style of parkour (jumping), with some crappy "story" surrounding it. Visually, it's exciting to watch. Plotwise, not so much—but who cares!

So the parade, or at least the TV broadcast of the parade, must have decided to wait until I was ready to watch it, because it literally started right in front of me. I was at the corner of SW Broadway and Taylor St., which is right in front of the Hilton, and right in front of the bright lights and multiple cameras of Channel 8. (I could tell when the station went to a commercial because whoever was next in line would have to wait for two minutes or so before proceeding.)


(Photo from the 2005 Starlight Parade)

Toward the very beginning of the parade, traditionally, is the large ensemble known as the One More Time Around Again Marching Band, which, according to their website, is believed to be the largest permanent marching band in the world. Seriously, folks, this is one massive marching band. Over 500 members ranging in age from 18 to 85, all of whom marched in high school, college or perhaps military bands. There's nothing in the world like hearing "Louie, Louie" as played by dozens upon dozens of horns. They were amazing.

Other band highlights include the Kell's Irish Pipes and Drums, the Regiment of Syncopated Drummers (BOOM-ba-ba-boom-BOOM!) and a couple of decent high school bands. The Regiment makes me want to watch Drumline again.

Oddly, there were one or two high school bands that seemed to have their volume turned way down—I could barely hear them. Were they asthmatic brass players?

Then there were the floats. I'm not going to describe any of them, because I am not really into floats, and so none of them really impressed me at all. However, there was one truck preceding a float that caught my attention simply for the sheer awesome of it:

By golly, it's a giant hamburger. This alone makes the Starlight Parade the best parade ever.

1 Talked Back:

At June 4, 2006 at 5:53:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a member of the One More Time Around Again Marching Band...thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!!

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home