Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Dispatch from Carthage #1: My new life

As anyone who reads this blog regularly knows, I am marrying my fellow blogger Nicole Davis this October 21st. The wedding is to be held in Carthage, Missouri, which is where Nicole is from. Therefore, I needed to move there in order to, you know, marry her and be her husband. (I've heard it's easier to be zero miles apart than 1,956.)

So I stored a bunch of my stuff, gave away a bunch more, and yesterday, I took the rest with me on a plane to Missouri. And that's where I am.

Since I've already made two week-long visits here this year, this trip hasn't felt different at all. I probably won't start feeling homesick for my beloved Oregon for a few weeks or so. Believe it or not, I don't even miss my friends and family yet. After all, I've only been here for 30 hours or so.

Moving away is a new experience for me, as I lived in the Portland area for all of my nearly 34 years. In many ways, Missouri isn't that much different: there are the usual signs of American civilization all around me, albeit a bit further spread apart. But I know that there will be some interesting new things to observe in my new home town, and because you already know that I like to present odd things to you here, I'll definitely be sharing these new things here on the blog. I debated whether to start a separate blog for my Dispatches from Carthage, but because I already have so many blogs, I felt I should just use my main one.

I can't tell you how detailed my Carthage-related posts will be—I imagine that sometimes they'll be short, and some will be novels—but I hope to be able to blog more about my life than I have been lately, if for no other reason than the fact that I can't hang out with my friends and family now like I used to (many of whom are reading this right now. Hi!)

So I hope you'll indulge me as I talk about learning to get used to a sales tax (Oregon has none), pumping my own gas (which, by the way, is $2.19/gallon as opposed to the $2.60-ish prices in Portland) and general life in this small, quiet Missouri town.

6 Talked Back:

At September 12, 2006 at 10:18:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

Hey, welcome to middle America! I'm jealous for your Carthage gas prices--I thought we had it good over here at $2.27 until I read your post.

 

At September 12, 2006 at 10:52:00 PM CDT, Blogger Andrew Price said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for saving us from another blog!

Oh yeah, and best wishes on your zero mile relationship and marriage and all that. Lucky.

 

At September 13, 2006 at 12:15:00 AM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Home.

 

At September 13, 2006 at 1:54:00 PM CDT, Blogger Coley said...

Foolish Knight, what makes you think that just because Stan didn't start a new Carthage blog that there won't be new blogs? You have to realize that we met through our blogs. We are blog crazy!!!!

(You should be on the lookout for something new to spring up shortly!)

 

At September 13, 2006 at 2:07:00 PM CDT, Blogger Shirley said...

Welcome to Missouri. Practice pronouncing it like the natives do!

 

At September 14, 2006 at 7:05:00 PM CDT, Blogger Andrew Price said...

Something new, hm?

I'll keep my eyes open. (And know that I fully expect a baby blog within a couple of years.)

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home