Friday, April 29, 2005

Moving instrumentals

Okay, here's a more interactive post. I am trying to compile a list of those lyric-free musical pieces that have found a way to stir my soul in ways that words cannot. Songs that upon hearing them, I have no choice but to rewind and replay them again and again.

I'll get my admittedly short list started (editing as I think of more), and I open it up to both of you readers. If possible, I will burn them onto one CD, then listen to that CD for a solid year.

Moby - My Weakness
[Play]

Beethoven - Sonata No. 8 In C Minor, Op. 13 (Pathétique), 2nd Mov.: Adagio Cantabile

Jon Brion - Theme
[Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind soundtrack]

Beethoven - Adagio sostenuto, from Moonlight Sonata

The Chieftains - Galician Overture
[Santiago]

Puccini - Humming Chorus, from Madama Butterfly

earthpassage - Walk Of The Cedars
[Glacier Journey: a musical passage through Glacier National Park]

The Clumsy Lovers - Orange Blossom Special
[Live!]

Chemical Brothers - The Sunshine Underground (minimal lyrics)
[Surrender]

Franz Schubert - Adagio, from String Quintet in C

from Comments:

Modest Mussorgsky - Great Gate of Kiev, from Pictures at an Exhibition

1 Talked Back:

At May 1, 2005 at 3:05:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would suggest orchestral version "Great Gate of Kiev" from the suite "Pictures at an Exhibition". Good stuff.

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home