Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Finally!

When the Bangles’ song “Walk Like an Egyptian” hit the airwaves in 1986, just like every other song on pop radio, it was played to death. Also, the video was played non-stop on MTV (Kids, back in the 1980’s, there was only one MTV channel, and they actually played music videos all day long). And ever since the first time I heard Susanna Hoffs’ alluring, mischievous voice since the third verse, I always thought the words were: “Like being up street and you’re back, shift/you’re a man you pull it back/ Like Sergeant No (oh-way-oh)/ So strike a pose on a camel back.” Which always left me scratching my head, Egyptian-style, wondering who in the heck Sergeant No was, and why I had to shift when I came back.

So this morning, 22 years later, I had the song stuck in my brain, and I decided that enough was enough. I looked up the lyrics, and they actually make more sense now: “Slide your feet up the street bend your back/Shift your arm then you pull it back/Life’s hard you know (oh-way-oh)/So strike a pose on a Cadillac.”

Now if I can just get the song out of my head.

1 Talked Back:

At May 7, 2008 at 12:20:00 AM CDT, Blogger Katie said...

Good times... I loved Walk Like an Eygptian. Of course perspective is that I was in second grade at the time. I thought the Bangles were SO cool.

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home