Thursday, December 15, 2005

Goodbye (sort of), Joel and Steve

I just heard from Eddie Bowley, my English cartoonist friend who has graciously hosted Joel and Steve for free for the last three years. He informed me that by the end of the week, all of his stuff will be migrating to a new server, but he isn't able to back my files up in the process. And seeing as how I've maybe added 10 (?) comics to the site in the last year - zero since June - he wondered if I didn't mind if he dropped J&S from the Bollox Comics site.

I certainly don't mind.

I have had the idea of moving everything over to a Blogger site, so people could still read the 250+ episodes of the story, but I really don't have the time to upload them all. The site is http://joelandsteve.blogspot.com. So I'll put it out there: Does anyone want to help me complete this task? I will send you a Blogger invite, and you can just follow the pattern of the first couple of comics to fill in the rest. It would be as simple as saving the image files locally, then uploading them to Blogger. And I'd e-mail or file-share the rest if the task is unfinished before the site goes down.

As for the Movie Grabs, or Steve's B'Stuff, or any of the other random crap I have up there, I don't know what I'll do. Maybe move them over to blogs of their own?

7 Talked Back:

At December 15, 2005 at 11:19:00 AM CST, Blogger nitsuj said...

Yay pick me, pick me! The (lack of) activity on my blog is no indication of how I'd do with the Joel and Steve blog. Haha, sounds like I'm applying for a job. Well, I volunteer anyway :D

 

At December 15, 2005 at 11:32:00 AM CST, Blogger stan said...

Okay then, I'll send you the Blogger invite when I get home from work tonight, unless you are willing to post your e-mail address here (I'll delete it after I send the invite).

Meantime, go ahead and start saving the comic files to a folder in your hard drive. I might start up a Movie Grabs site on my own, so you wouldn't have to worry about that. (Looks like the Drunk Duck mirror site is down; I wonder when that happened!)

 

At December 15, 2005 at 11:50:00 AM CST, Blogger stan said...

(Invite sent. E-mail address removed.)

 

At December 15, 2005 at 6:59:00 PM CST, Blogger Jim said...

I already downloaded all of the files, immediately got a development deal with New Line Cinema, Nick Lachey is going to play you, they are talking to Matthew McConaughey to play whichever one is not you

 

At December 15, 2005 at 11:02:00 PM CST, Blogger nitsuj said...

Phew, finally done! 13.4 mb of pure Joel and Steve goodness! (Alternative strip-, Green Sheet Chronicles-, and Beans-inclusive)

One question though.. once I put them on the site, do they depend on the local files on my computer? I mean, if my computer crashed or something (Heaven forbid), would that be the end of Joel and Steve (double Heaven forbid)?

 

At December 16, 2005 at 11:04:00 AM CST, Blogger stan said...

All of the images will be uploaded to Blogger with each post.

I have posted a how-to for you, which looks way more complicated than it is (sorry), but you'll get the hang of it.

If your computer does crash, remember that I have multiple copies of the image files. Joel and Steve are safe. :)

 

At December 16, 2005 at 9:36:00 PM CST, Blogger Samuel John Klein said...

I've had much practice uploading image files to a certain blog I author.

If nitsuj starts getting a little behind or needs a hand, I can help out.

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home