Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Last Saturday's walk around Oregon City

On Saturday, my roommate Adam and I decided to go have a late breakfast - and by late, I'm talking 12:30. Biscuits Cafe in Oregon City is good place for that sort of thing, so we went. And I ate until I was stuffed. (So much for 185.) After eating, I showed Adam where in town I lived for 3-4 years, and then we drove over to the bluff.

The bluff is a little area on the south side of Oregon City that has a pretty good view of downtown O.C. and points north. In the distance one can see the cluster of the tallest buildings in downtown Portland. When I was in high school, I remember the bluff as a place for couples to go make out, but only theoretically because they had to share bluff space with stereoheads trying to outblast each other with their giant car audio systems. It was also a cool place to go if you wanted to just look out over the city (which is basically what I would do there, because of a lack of girlfriend and/or car stereo system).


There's an old road that leads from the bluff down to the Oregon City Armory at the bottom of the hill. Rockslides and lack of maintenance forced the road closed, though, and now its just a nice place to walk. I just discovered that the area is called Waterboard Park. Adam and I took a stroll down the road, which is sheltered by tall trees and bordered by piles of green-covered rocks.


It was a good walk. Beyond the Armory, we walked around the neighborhood streets a little bit, then circled back toward another couple of steep uphill paths leading back to the bluff. Those hills sent me a message: Time to get out walking more!

2 Talked Back:

At December 14, 2005 at 9:54:00 PM CST, Blogger Jim said...

we hung out on The Island, which was not actually an island, although you had to cross a bridge to get to it. the bridge washed away in the Great Flood of 93, making it difficult to actually get to the island; then the railroad took out the crossing for the road to the island, making it impossible even to get to where the bridge had been before it washed away, you know, in the Great Flood of 93.

ps. I stole one of your photos.

 

At December 14, 2005 at 11:33:00 PM CST, Blogger stan said...

Nicely done.

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home